Along the road of ancient Roman history
The Via Claudia Augusta’s construction was begun in the year 15 B.C. by Drusus, one of Augustus’s generals, during the military campaigns that led to the conquest of the territories of Rhaetia and Vindelicorum (today the western Tyrol and southern Germany).
It was expanded and finally finished in A.D. 47 by his son, the Emperor Claudius Augustus, from whom it took its name some time later.
The road linked the ports of the Adriatic near Venice (Altinum), near the Venetian Lagoon with Germany as far as the city of Augsburg near Monaco and from there to the Danube.
The most significant archaeological sources for quality and quantity are the milestones along the route. Among them, the cippus milestones of Rablà and Cesiomaggiore which were discovered in 1552 and 1786 respectively, are of great importance.
With regard to the Pianura Padana (the Po River Plane), we know, thanks to the testimony of the antique Roman document, Tabula Peutingeriana, that it linked Ostiglia, Verona and Trento.
The road passed alongside the ancient walls of the Villa del Quar. At that time, the area was called Arquadis and this was a Mansion with a post station with horses, shops on the ground level, stables, a market at the centre of the square with a lovely garden and on the first-floor, sleeping accommodation for the troops’ commanders and the court dignitaries.
As a post station, for health reasons, the horses that carried goods from Germany were changed over at this point. It was very important to replace them before entering the city in order to prevent the transmission of diseases to the people of Verona which could have resulted in the city falling into enemy hands.